If you do not receive your verification email after registering, please check your spam folder. You can also get in contact with us via other methods.
Если вы не получили письмо c подтверждением регистрации, пожалуйста, проверьте папку спам. В случае отсутствия письма и там напишите нам другим способом.

Can't Get Episode 5 to Work

Any non-technical Umineko-related stuff.
Всё что угодно на около-Umineko-подобные нетехнические темы.
Breaio

Can't Get Episode 5 to Work

Post by Breaio »

Thank you for the release of Episode 5! Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the game to play. I downloaded and extracted all the files in a folder as stated in the downloads section, but when I click to open the game, it says I'm missing a ton of files for some reason? Then I tried extracting all the files to my old umineko folder containing episodes 1-4 (and replaced all the doubles), but then it says fail to launch directory when I click to open the game.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you!
Ambardel

Re: Can't Get Episode 5 to Work

Post by Ambardel »

Have you downloaded the newest engine?
Last edited by Ambardel on 27 Dec 2020, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
vit9696
Администратор

Post by vit9696 »

Hello, it is a bit hard to say what went wrong with such a report. Perhaps the best way at this point will be to reinstall the game enitrely, as there is a possibility the first 4 episodes were not fine either.
Breaio

Post by Breaio »

This is strange since I had no problem with the earlier episodes, but I shall retry.

So all of Episode 5's files should be installed to the same folder containing the first 4 episodes or a separate folder altogether? I thought it was two separate games, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Moreover, when I had tried extracting everything originally (from Episode 5 SOLELY), the chiru extras rar and the chiru game files rar both have identical files (which makes me have to replace one over the other or vice versa... which makes no sense). I think they were the graphics folder and the chiru.file*
vit9696
Администратор

Post by vit9696 »

Um, firstly let me explain the situation with the previous releases. They had very basic game file verification built in (few random files were selectively size-checked or even simpler: checked for presence on disk without any content checking), and thus it was comparably frequent to discover people with corrupted installations. By supporting multiple operating systems for us it is very hard to build a tool/installer that would work everywhere, and thus all the mess with the files. We believe it will get simpler when we reach EP8.

To workaround the issues at present starting with episode 5 we implemented a complete game file verification, which could unveil most of the hidden failures to properly install the game bith old and new.

Now about the game. It was and is a single game, which contains all the episodes in itself, so chiru is basically an addon you extract into the game folder (which is now mandatory). We tried to explain it at a usual place describing on how to update files, but I guess it is still imperfect: https://umineko-project.org/en/how-to-upgrade/

Regarding the files, we try to make less changes to the larger game archives, and as a result we have several "large" game packs like backgrounds, graphics, videos… which one updates to get the latest changes. Chiru archives are one of the updates, and "extra" is an overall update that always comes last and contains the latest changes we made yet not included in the original files.

Hope it helps!
Breaio

Post by Breaio »

Thanks so much! I've redownloaded and reinstalled everything from scratch. The game opens and I'm able to play episode 5 :)

However, I do get this problem which I'm not quite sure why I do (since I've installed extra last).
I would sometimes get this black bar across the top of many CGs and even in the CG gallery, certain boxes (especially the first one) would remain black and when clicking on them, the image would have the black bar right across the top.
https://s33.postimg.cc/8anj9yjwv/image.png
vit9696
Администратор

Post by vit9696 »

I think it is an issue with your GPU drivers. Try adding the following line to your ons.cfg file:

Code: Select all

no-glclear
See more details on https://umineko-project.org/known-issues. To open ons.cfg you may want to use Notepad++ (https://notepad-plus-plus.org), Wordpad, or maybe Windows Notepad (but I am not 100% confident in it, sometimes it breaks newlines).

If no-glclear does not help… perhaps you could try switching to ANGLE 2 or ANGLE 3 renderer in preferences. But you may get worse performance (or actually better depending on your luck).
Breaio

Post by Breaio »

Thank you! But I don't have an ons.cfg file in the folder? And I've extracted absolutely everything. This is what my folder looks like:
https://s15.postimg.cc/eyzpvc9jv/umineko.png
vit9696
Администратор

Post by vit9696 »

Hi, this file should be created once you run the game for the first time. In case you had the existing savedata it might not have happened, mhm, to workaround it just visit the settings and switch the game language to Russian and back to English (literally just click on the right arrow twice). The file will be there. Sorry.
Breaio

Post by Breaio »

That seems to have done the trick, thanks so much!