If you do not receive your verification email after registering, please check your spam folder. You can also get in contact with us via other methods.
Если вы не получили письмо c подтверждением регистрации, пожалуйста, проверьте папку спам. В случае отсутствия письма и там напишите нам другим способом.

[SOLVED] No audio after restarting application

Community-based support for our public releases.
Общественная поддержка для публичных релизов.
Ten

[SOLVED] No audio after restarting application

Post by Ten »

Hi! Hoping someone can help me solve this issue.

Fresh install. Everything works fine... until I restart the application. On relaunching the application, there is no audio.
I'm able to get audio back if I delete gloval.sav, but this makes my save files incompatible.

System Info
Operating System: Windows 10
Game Version: 8.1b r3520

FAQ
1. The game is not muted. M / Alt + M does nothing.
2. This isn't a general PC audio issue. I still get sound from all other applications.

Things I've tried
3. Deleting everything and reinstalling - didn't work
4. Restarting the audio service for Windows - didn't work
5. Deleting the audio policy config registry key for onscripter-ru.exe - didn't work

Additional information
Not sure if this is relevant, but despite this being a fresh install that I downloaded today from https://umineko-project.org/en/downloads/
I see red text on the title screen that says "Your game is over 6 months old, it might be outdated!"

Considering all of this, and that the problem can be solved by deleting gloval.sav, it would appear that there's some kind of issue with the application rather than an issue on my end.

Thanks.
Last edited by Ten on 19 Aug 2020, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
vit9696
Администратор

Re: No audio after restarting application

Post by vit9696 »

Whether the game is muted or not is displayed in the window title bar. You will be able to see [Sound: Off] if the game is muted. Please check. If it is not, try updating to the latest alpha version:
http://github.com/umineko-project/umine ... ses/latest
http://github.com/umineko-project/onscr ... ses/latest
Ten

Post by Ten »

The title bar displays: 'Umineko no Naku Koro ni ~Rondo of Witch and Reasoning~ (8.1b r3520)'

I've now updated to 8.2 r3596 + OnscripterRU r3567, but unfortunately there's still no sound. And the title bar gives no indication the game is muted. And, to be sure, I deleted the ProgramData folder contents before updating. Problem is still resolved by deleting gloval.sav.

vit9696
Администратор

Post by vit9696 »

Is the sound enabled in game preferences?
Ten

Post by Ten »

Yes.

vit9696
Администратор

Post by vit9696 »

Really unsure what can it be. Anything in the log? You could enable it with `use-console` ons.cfg parameter for instance.
Ten

Post by Ten »

Uhhh...

Apparently this is an issue with WASAPI. I looked it up and it's a known bug. Running this in command prompt seems to fix it:

Code: Select all

setx SDL_AUDIODRIVER directsound
As for why it happens specifically with Umineko Project, and only after the first launch, I have no idea. I haven't seen this with any other app.
In any case, at least it's documented now?
vit9696
Администратор

Post by vit9696 »

Congrats! This is indeed strange. We know about this bug and in fact force directsound when initialising:

Code: Select all

it = ons_cfg_options.find("audiodriver");
	if (it != ons_cfg_options.end()) {
		SDL_setenv("SDL_AUDIODRIVER", it->second.c_str(), true);
	} else {
#ifdef WIN32
		// WASAPI driver that appeared in 2.0.7 is total garbage
		SDL_setenv("SDL_AUDIODRIVER", "directsound", false);
#endif
	}
You could technically write ons.cfg audiodriver=directsound, but this will likely also fail. Perhaps SDL broke something again :x
Ten

Post by Ten »

Really weird that it fails to force directsound when it's right there in the code. I guess I should have considered driver issues from the start.

Thanks for the help.