If you do not receive your verification email after registering, please check your spam folder. You can also get in contact with us via other methods.
Если вы не получили письмо c подтверждением регистрации, пожалуйста, проверьте папку спам. В случае отсутствия письма и там напишите нам другим способом.

[EN] Discussion

Any non-technical Umineko-related stuff.
Всё что угодно на около-Umineko-подобные нетехнические темы.
vit9696
Администратор

Re: [EN] Discussion

Post by vit9696 »

Pretty much. We are planning to wait at least until all the 8 episodes are ready. Thanks for understanding :)
MarisaKirisame

Post by MarisaKirisame »

So I decided to give my ancient laptop a chance, after reading that things are better on older hardware now.

Average framerate sits around 30, lip sync drops it to single digits, fades and other transitions drop to 15~20, and videos... I don't think you'd want to know. ;)

I know, I know, it's a X3100, there is no worse integrated Intel GPU in existence, but hey... when I'm bored, these things happen.
“Not only is UNIX dead, it’s starting to smell really bad” — Rob Pike
vit9696
Администратор

Post by vit9696 »

Oh dear :D Nothing but guillotine can cure Intel GPU engineers regardless of their product age.
Now there actually are ways to improve performance even with such deadly devices but I would still not expect it to be mostly playable. Once I tried running the port on something like C60 it was equally funny.
You could go with these options: force-fps=30 (maybe 25 or so) to reduce refresh rate and increase the time for background work, hwconvert=disable if yuv shader conversion runs in software and is terrible, no-glclear could speedup things a bit but might break things.

Since you are bored and often use Linux, could you try to reproduce this? I feel like this OS could be the case. (Move to that topic for any details).
MarisaKirisame

Post by MarisaKirisame »

So I was thinking now that I got a shiny new phone... are there any plans for Android?
“Not only is UNIX dead, it’s starting to smell really bad” — Rob Pike
vit9696
Администратор

Post by vit9696 »

Hmmm… It should not be very difficult given that we support iOS with GLES backend. All the other libraries should be cross-platform. However, we have no resources for that unfortunately. Chiru needs a lot of work, and nobody from our team uses Android (yes, for real).
If somebody does help us to port it, that may be possible. However, that basically means maintaining the port and preparing the binaries, which may be tiring.
Z-Dante

Post by Z-Dante »

Question regarding the audio :

Why are we using fixed 256 kbps bitrate though? You could use a variable bitrate with 8 vbr and would probably get better quality at roughly the same size ( or little larger maybe) :)
vit9696
Администратор

Post by vit9696 »

Mostly because we tried to preserve best possible quality. The original files were 192 Kb/s, so we thought that a solid higher bitrate will provide us better quality than vbr with sometimes possibly lower bitrate. The size was not targeted or anyhow taken into account.
YNagato

Post by YNagato »

Mammon's furniture that is me strikes again: any chance to provide the Japanese original text as well? One-key switch back and forth would be marvelous! Definitely will help improve my shabby Japanese. I know it's not the first priority but a possibility to wait for would be a great blessing please :|
Knox
Администратор

Post by Knox »

I'm wary of promising things to be done "someday" :D I have no idea how much motivation we will have left after Episode 8 is done. This project takes a lot of time from us, and I'm looking forward to the day when its obligations no longer hang perpetually over me :)

Right now the scripts for the different languages are entirely separate, and we would have to rework a lot of things so they could be done on the fly instead.

Also, it was an intentional decision originally not to include Japanese, to discourage using our work as a replacement for the original PS3 games (it's intended as a way for non-Japanese-speakers to enjoy the game...), though I understand that doesn't take account of players like you who have a partial understanding of Japanese. In fact, I've wanted this feature for editing, too, but it's just unlikely we'd spend time on it over other things -- it's not important enough.

I wish you luck with your Japanese -- hopefully you can read Umineko in either language in a few years' time :)
YNagato

Post by YNagato »

Thanks for taking time to reply. I totally understand the choice made by the team. And wish you guys all the best with the development of the Chiro project!