If you do not receive your verification email after registering, please check your spam folder. You can also get in contact with us via other methods.
Если вы не получили письмо c подтверждением регистрации, пожалуйста, проверьте папку спам. В случае отсутствия письма и там напишите нам другим способом.

[EN] Discussion

Any non-technical Umineko-related stuff.
Всё что угодно на около-Umineko-подобные нетехнические темы.
drojf

Re: [EN] Discussion

Post by drojf »

Kyuunex wrote: Why not start a kickstarter/indiegogo and legally license this game and then publish it on steam? I would definitely buy if that happened. (I'm a heavy steam user).
FYI, Mangagamer already announced they were going to release Umineko on steam, HOWEVER the release won't have voice acting (I think), and will use the Umineko Pachinko Game sprites (this version uses the PS3 spites):

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/05/um ... anslation/

So if you want you can buy the game on Steam, but I think this version should end up much better than the Steam version. Reasons not to make a Steam patch to add in what's in the Umiproject version is addressed in the FAQ of Umiproject
Kyuunex

Post by Kyuunex »

Knox wrote:
Kyuunex wrote:Hi, I just came here to give my suggestion since this wasn't in FAQ.

Why not start a kickstarter/indiegogo and legally license this game and then publish it on steam? I would definitely buy if that happened. (I'm a heavy steam user).

(just my suggestion)
It's like this.
  • We believe that there would be too many major roadblocks to getting the game released in its current form (voice licensing, translation licensing, other Alchemist resource licensing, etc.).
  • This port doesn't look like it's generating enough interest that it could fund its way past these -- so many people have already played Umineko in one form or another.
  • We have no replacement lined up for any of the above resources, so we have no leeway in the negotiation of the price. An exorbitant amount could be demanded and we would have no choice but to pay if we wanted to make the game a reality.
  • Our motivations for wanting this game to exist are personal. We want to do things our own way and create the game we envision, not one crippled by external license restrictions and third-party demands.
  • By making official connections with various companies, we don't want to put ourselves in a position where we can be shut down if it doesn't work out. Making this game exist in any form at all is all we want.
  • We don't have any experience in such a business endeavor, and are a very small team that has its hands full just creating the game in the first place.
Alright. I understand.
Chaumin

Post by Chaumin »

So I just discovered Umineko Project the other day and I gotta say, you guys did a really great job with it.

I'm having an issue with saving though. I think it's probably because I moved the game files from my desktop to my documents, since I could still save before I moved everything. Is there any way to fix this without re-downloading everything, or should I keep the files on my desktop?
Knox
Администратор

Post by Knox »

Chaumin wrote:So I just discovered Umineko Project the other day and I gotta say, you guys did a really great job with it.

I'm having an issue with saving though. I think it's probably because I moved the game files from my desktop to my documents, since I could still save before I moved everything. Is there any way to fix this without re-downloading everything, or should I keep the files on my desktop?
Ouch, that shouldn't happen... I made a topic for this, please help us out by posting in it :)
Deernkastel

Post by Deernkastel »

Hello!
I've downloaded all the files but as I've never downloaded a game in this way before I don't really know how to open it. I think I've opened all the files, but when i open the game it says none of the files are complete, "Make sure you have properly unpacked 'backgrounds, (graphics, sound, sprites, video)' folder. Some files in it are not reachable."
I would be very grateful if someone could give me some guidance.
Knox
Администратор

Post by Knox »

After extracting all the archives ("extra" should be extracted last), you should end up with a folder which has in it: the game program, the script, some other files, and several subfolders, which should be called exactly "backgrounds", "graphics", and so on. If your unzip tool has some "Extract here/directly into this folder" option, that's probably the one you want.

If you go into the "backgrounds" folder, it shouldn't have another folder that is also called "backgrounds" in it -- if you have that, it's been wrongly extracted. There should be just one backgrounds folder with the image files in it directly. A similar kind of thing applies for the other folders.

Similarly, there shouldn't be an "extra" folder -- if you have that, it probably has subfolders in it that belonged in the main folder instead. The extra "backgrounds" folder is meant to automatically merge with and overwrite the existing "backgrounds" folder, which is why it needs to be extracted last.

If you notice things are in the wrong place, it's probably easiest just to delete the extracted files and try a clean extract :) It should all work with "extract here".
Deernkastel

Post by Deernkastel »

Thanks for the help :)
zander1995

Post by zander1995 »

Are there ever going to be script tools released for those who want to port or create other translations for this version of Umineko? I'm quite interested in doing something like this, and I'm sure others are as well.
vit9696
Администратор

Post by vit9696 »

Hello,
You are not the first one asking about translating our port into another language and I am afraid it is still not the time for something like that to happen. We are eager to see Umineko being localised in more languages, however we realise that translating it (or even updating the existing translation, e.g. Chinese, Spanish) will take a lot of time and effort, and we would prefer this effort to not be wasted.

At this point we are not done with both the scripts and the engine, and providing any way to modify them will be rather problematic due to updates that could make one or the other incompatible. We certainly do not want to get in a situation where we fix an issue we spotted, but a side fork is abandoned, and therefore the change will not be applied there. Moreover, the engine as it is now is not tolerant to script errors, and by allowing unskilled people to edit them we risk getting blamed for issues that were not created by us.

We have a relatively complicated automated build system which is regenerating scripts for our engine automatically based on ps3 game disassembly and translation texts. if we integrated a translation into another language in it, it could work this way. However, it is not the only game part that needs to be translated, there also are menus and graphics. Even though this is the best and pretty much the only way to do it right, for the time being we unfortunately have no resources to help other translators. We are very sorry.

Anyway, each case will be reviewed individually, and we understand all the privacy of not allowing such announcements to be spread earlier than they should be. Feel free to contact us in private by emailing or via jabber (we have it on talk.umineko-project.org, let me know your nickname) to give us more details on what you/your team would like to do, and we can see what can be done in the future.
zander1995

Post by zander1995 »

That's a bit disappointing. I wasn't going to create a new translation as that's beyond my capabilities, but I was looking to port other translations to this release.

I can understand why you guys aren't doing that right now though. Are you going to wait until all 8 arcs are done?